Dead Club House

Dead Club House
Haunted House in Cambridge

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Freewriting on How Does Art Change the World?

10/29/10, 5 minutes
I have seen theatre change the world, change little pieces of the world, little pieces of lives.  I’ve seen that confidence in facing a challenge make a person stand taller.  My docu-play One Particular Saturday told high school students and college students the stories of the Baltimore Race Riots in 1968.  The student actors returned to rehearsal the second night and said my mother or my grandmother or my aunt remembers tanks rolling down Harford Road and they had never told me.  Art tells history and heals wounds by opening up dialogue.  The Laramie Project will begin a dialogue about hate crimes.  Laramie will remind the audience of its empathy.  Studies prove that theatre develops empathy.  Perhaps because we feel along with the characters.  Perhaps because we’re in the middle of group art and have to rely upon each other.  Don’t we daily have to rely upon each other?
10/31/10 1 minute
I know Victorian London because of Oliver and Charles Dickens.  I know World War II because of the Sound of Music.  I know the Russian Revolution because of Dr. Zhavigo.
I want to spell check Zhavago.
Do you edit blog content or freewrite like above?

1 comment:

  1. Yes, it's good to remember that art is much more than just aesthetic. It can change people and what they think.

    ReplyDelete