Dead Club House

Dead Club House
Haunted House in Cambridge

Thursday, October 7, 2010

On readings

Reading excerpts from my book live is one of the scariest things I’ve ever done.  Live readings put me up there at the podium and me alone.  Readings are scarier than acting; there’s no character to hide behind.  Readings are scarier than producer announcements; all the content is mine.  Readings are me squared up there:  me the performer and me the writer.
But Albert Brooks might be right and this whole shooting match is about facing our fears.
I’ve come to believe that readings are more than a pitch to buy the book; readings are about storytelling.   Dredging’s stories are based in oral folklore and that makes them easier to read in a storytelling fashion.
So when I read this Tuesday at the Red Canoe at 5:30pm, I’ll remind myself that I am telling stories, no different than my ancestors in the caves of France.  I am telling stories that can possibly help the temporal face their temporality.  I am telling stories that are hundreds of years old and are still happening today.
I just need to warm up my voice and hit all my consonants.
Red Canoe Bookstore Cafe

1 comment:

  1. You, lady, are a great reader. Think ghost-y thoughts and all will enjoy.

    ReplyDelete